As IRIS Follower City, Focsani is a medium sized city and capital of Vrancea County. The city is committed to become a smart and sustainable urban centre focused on addressing local issues with an integrated an innovative approach.
Together with its citizens, key stakeholders and urban utilities providers, the municipality is focused on: increasing building energy efficiency and living standards; mitigating CO2 by reducing primary energy resources consumption and adopting renewables (especially in areas not served by district heating); and developing an efficiently managed and monitored public transport system.
Developing this in partnership with and for its residents is a priority and an ICT decision-based management tool to develop a transparent and efficient public administration process is seen as key for securing its citizens’ safety, awareness and engagement.
The strategic objectives of Focsani SDS will be reached through concrete measures and actions in the following fields of Energy with:
- District heating system upgrading and retrofitting ongoing program (two applications were already submitted within ESIF and a governmental program ''District Heating 2015-2020 – Heat and comfort'')
- An Eco-efficient public lighting, including a tele-management system
- Energy efficient buildings (public buildings, residential - single-family homes, condominiums).
All the above will be connected with smart metering and a dispatching centre for field data collecting; electricity, heat, natural gas and water consumption, water – air – soil pollution.
In transport sector:
- Multi-modal transport infrastructure at metropolitan level
- Intelligent traffic management, including video surveillance
- Eco-smart public transport, including the acquisition of 20 electric busses (small and medium capacity) and the development of the charging infrastructure (20 stations)
- Green parking areas will be designed and constructed.
In addition, a Smart ICT decision-based management tool will be implemented in order to develop a transparent and efficient public administration process, including non-bureaucratic proficient public services. The tool has to be designed:
- to gather data collected in field, process them and draw reports / assess KPIs, while ensuring a user interface at the general public level
- to ensure open access to different type of information, thus enhancing the level of citizens’ trust and understanding, challenging them to action and rational use of resources