EU-GUGLE Site Aachen
The city of Aachen has 248 000 inhabitants and is situated at the western border of Germany with Belgium and the Netherlands. The district Aachen-North, which is the focus of the EU-GUGLE project, is a heterogeneous area with a mixture of recent and old industrial and residential buildings. It is spread over 300 hectares and has 15 500 inhabitants. The urban planning focuses on revitalising and improving the attractiveness of the district. Most recently, Aachen-North was part of a multi-year urban development programme called Social City, where energy was one of the aspects covered, along with green spaces, housing, living quality, leisure, places for culture, social institutions, and the integration of industry and road space.
The model site of the EU-GUGLE project includes 391 dwellings for renovation, which cover an area of 41 688 m² with 1500 inhabitants. The buildings are mainly settlements from the 1920s and 1930s and multi-storey buildings from the 1970s.
* Information regarding the technical and economic performance will be available at a later stage.
The expected primary energy savings in the EU-GUGLE pilot district in Aachen are up to 65 %. The activities are also aiming to reduce energy demand by increasing the information and transparency of energy use. The envisaged actions are eligible examples of energy-efficient retrofitting and have great potential for immediate replication.
* Information regarding the economic performance will be available at a later stage.
The implemented measures are:
Energy efficiency in buildings
- Retrofitting the building envelope
- Insulation measures on facades, roofs, cellar ceilings, windows
- Building services (HVAC and lighting)
- Technical control systems for heat, electricity and lighting
- Presence detectors for lighting
Energy systems integration
- Waste heat recovery
- Heat recovery from the sewage and heat pumps integrated in a low exergy heat network
- Thermal collectors
- District heating and cooling
- Building energy management system
- Smart metering