EU-GUGLE Site Vienna
The EU-GUGLE demonstration district in Vienna is named Penzing or the 14th district. The smart Viennese gate to western Austria and to the Natura 2000 area – the Biosphärenpark Wienerwald – covers about 3374 hectares with an open area covering 60 %, including parts of the forest surrounding Vienna. The district has about 84 362 inhabitants, predominantly between 40 and 50 years of age.
All the envisaged demonstration buildings – 1038 dwellings with 3592 inhabitants – had poor energy performance values and urgently needed the planned renovation. The buildings in the district are residential and social housing, used by tenants and apartment owners.
The private buildings serve as a viable space for tackling the different apartment ownerships that exist in Vienna. Special appointments with house representatives were organised to countercheck baseline data of the social housing company Wiener Wohnen and other partners, as well as to map building particularities during the preparation phase of the realisation.
*Further information regarding the technical and financial performance will be available at a later stage.
As a result of the energy efficiency, the final energy consumption for the six buildings reported so far by the project partners in Vienna was reduced from 170 kWh/m²/yr (business as usual) to 89 kWh/m²/yr. This amounts to 1 996 MWh/yr of final energy savings. The total primary energy savings go up to 6 499 MWh/yr while the CO2 reduction is 1 299 tonnes every year. These positive environmental values are likely to increase when more information is reported by the project.
* Information regarding the economic performance will be available at a later stage.
The implemented measures in Vienna are:
Energy efficiency in buildings
- Retrofitting the building envelope
- The main focus is on the efficient refurbishment of 68 783 m2 gross floor area, partly in one object with prefabricated facade elements. The expected energy efficiency savings for all refurbished buildings are about 55-65 %
- Building integrated renewable energy sources
- Intelligent integration of renewable energy in buildings (photovoltaics) and realisation of suitable accompanying measures to create a high-quality city district
Energy systems integration
- District heating and cooling
- Optimising the centralised heating plant
- Building energy management system
- Smart metering
- ICT as planning support
- During the project, data on the planning and implementation details are to be collected to provide information about building physics, refurbishments and HVAC of the realised demonstration objects. Monitoring data will also be collected, in order to compare the measured results with the calculated yields.