City-zen: a balanced approach to the city of the future
City-zen was a joint project of Amsterdam, Grenoble and 28 partners that was granted EU-funding to develop and demonstrate energy efficient cities and to build a methodology and tools for cities, industries and citizens to reach the 20-20-20 targets.
The City-zen project has yielded the following results:
* saving 35,000 tons CO2 per year
* renovated 76,000 m2 residential buildings
* connected 10,000 dwellings to smart grid
* 20 pilot projects completed in Grenoble and Amsterdam
- Sanquin cooling by raw water realized
- Houthaven comfort cooling realized
- Amount of renovated (residential) buildings: 76000 m2
- Amount of dwellings connected to a smart grid: 10000
- Innovative collective drainage network for a significant density of highly energy performance groundwater heat pumps realized
- Development of two roadmaps to carbon neutrality
- Smart grid elements tested:
- Virtual power plant in Amsterdam and PV combined with batteries in Grenoble
- Multi-territorial monitoring system (heat, water, electricity)
- Vehicle to grid
- End to end smartification
- 10 Roadshows executed (intense, one week programs at cities that want to kick-start their energy transition)
- KOPTER (http://www.cityzen-smartcity.eu/ressources/smart-grids/dispatch-and-trad...) Optimizer model for a regional smart energy platform balancing unpredictable energy supply with flexible demand.
- Métro Energies (was: VivaCité)(https://vivacite-grenoble.fr.atos.net/s2gmt-usager/#/Home) A collaborative energy data management tool for city planners, city officials, building operators and city inhabitants.
- Go2Zero (http://www.cityzen-smartcity.eu/go2zero-simulation-leads-to-valuable-ins...) A serious (role playing) game for decision makers such as local governments, construction companies, network operators, (local) energy suppliers and citizens. The game/simulation is played as part of interactive sessions where stakeholders jointly tackle challenges in the energy transition. The sessions are led by consortium partners DNV GL (https://www.dnvgl.com).
- The Age of Energy (http://theageofenergy.com/) An award winning game designed by Clicks+Links (http://pixelmilldigital.com/). The aim is to engage young urban dwellers to save energy by raising awareness and changing behavior through the familiar medium of gaming.
Descriptions of the smart city development methodology, including the process and research preceding it, can be found on the overview page (http://www.cityzen-smartcity.eu/ressources/methodology/). Links to the catalogue of measures, roadmaps, etc. can be found in the list of Key Documents below.
- "A tale of two cities" City-zen Overall Lessons Learned & Insights (http://www.cityzen-smartcity.eu/a-tale-of-two-cities-interactive-pdf-now...) (a very interactive and visual project book)
- KOPTER (http://www.cityzen-smartcity.eu/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/city-zen_d5-1...)
- Smart Meter report (http://www.cityzen-smartcity.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/city-zen_d6-6...)
- Catalogue of Measures (http://www.cityzen-smartcity.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/city-zen_d4-5...)
- Roadmap Amsterdam (http://www.cityzen-smartcity.eu/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/city-zen_d4-6...)
- Roadmap Grenoble (http://www.cityzen-smartcity.eu/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/city-zen_d4-7...)
- Monitoring and Evaluation of the Amsterdam Building Renovations (http://www.cityzen-smartcity.eu/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/city-zen_d7-2...)
- Retrofitting in Grenoble (https://smartcities-infosystem.eu/sites/www.smartcities-infosystem.eu/fi...)
- Retrofitting in Amsterdam (https://smartcities-infosystem.eu/sites/www.smartcities-infosystem.eu/fi...)
- Collected information on state of art (https://smartcities-infosystem.eu/sites/www.smartcities-infosystem.eu/fi...)
- Sanquin cooling by raw water realised (http://www.cityzen-smartcity.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/cityzen_d5-14...)
- Business case models for retrofitting in Amsterdam (https://smartcities-infosystem.eu/sites/www.smartcities-infosystem.eu/fi...)
- Documented paths to successful deployment (http://www.cityzen-smartcity.eu/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/city-zen-d9-1...)