New Easy to Install and Manufacture PRE-Fabricated Modules Supported by a BIM based Integrated Design ProceSS
IMPRESS will leverage on the potential of prefabrication by developing a new range of easy to install panels, which can reduce energy demand while preserving and/or improving building aesthetics.
Three prefabricated panels will be developed, both for re-cladding and over-cladding, together with nano/micro particle based coatings, to achieve anti-corrosion and ageing resistance, improved solar reflectance and anti-vandalism properties. To produce the panels, an innovative manufacturing process will be created that includes Reconfigurable Moulding, 3D laser scanning and 3D printing technologies.
A new Iterative Design Methodology will be developed, incorporating all stages of the Design-Construct-Install-Operate process, integrated with a cloud based BIM database. A Decision Support Software will help the end user to choose the most suitable renovation option.
The project objectives are:
- Reducing primary energy consumption by 50%;
- Improving thermal performance and optimising light radiation by at least 30%;
- Improving precision of formworks for irregular shapes by 50%;
- Reducing installation time of prefab panels by more than 30%;
- Validate the performance of the prefabricated modules on the 2 demo sites over at least 12 month;
- Allowing for an RoI of < 10 years.
The results will be demonstrated on two buildings where final as-built product performance will be validated against the initial design.