Smart lighting systems and lampposts
Challenges/ Barriers facing
- Maintenance costs are high, especially in small projects
- New lighting systems save energy but might require more material recourses
- Many technical problems
Social & behavioural
- Politicians aren't engaged
- Lack of interest at the beginning of the project
Finance & business model
- Benefits to a municipality aren’t clearly defined yet. No sustainable business model for sensor ecosystem
- Difficulties to find a way of making the investment future proof
Competences & risks
- Public procurement – lengthy, focused on price, lack of experience in innovative procurement
- Lack of knowledge about new technologies
Regulatory & juridical
- Legacy systems and contracts
- Smart Lighting use cases cut across silos, enginers out of their depth.
- Lack of examples and use cases
- The capacity for standards & asset allocation in municipalities is low.
- Resistance to joint working
Incentives/ Policy recommendations/ Suggestions/ Best Practices
- Political leadership can drive change
- Lighting system replacement increases employment
- Demonstrate value of data including social and environmental value
- Build system for local businesses to benefit from
Best practices & suggestions
- Exploit Lighthouse Programme for tools and capacity –don’t just do another pilot!
- Utilize standards to drive change and strengthen business cases
- Build a convincing case for politicians and engage with finance too
- Secure buy-in from legacy arrangements
- Collaborate and be transparent with citizens and partners from the beginning
- The technology’s multidisciplinary character offers opportunities to do things collectively
- Think ahead: where is the potential to exploit? – 5G, supporting SMEs, etc.
Plan for Implementation (Next Steps)
- Identify and combine learnings from the projects across Europe
- Engage with politicians and inhabitants using the guidance from the Lighthouse Projects – express the benefits and explain the risks
- Engage with officers using smart booklet, especially with finance
- Set-up workshop to test materials from Lighthouses and explore potential of smart lighting
- Explore larger pilots and start to leverage scale, within own city and other cities. At the same time continue smaller tests with new technologies/systems/solutions.
- Think more from a social (“ What makes people happy? ”) than a financial perspective
- Look into data monitoring